2 vacancies - Washington DC Metro Area, DC
* Applicants must be U.S. Citizens or nationals
* Applicants must apply online via GSAjobs (see "How to Apply" section)
* Background security investigation required
Within the Center for Historic Buildings, Office of the Chief
Architect, the Preservation Specialist provides support to Public
Buildings Service (PBS) projects and programs by providing expert
services in historic preservation. The duties of this position
At the GS-12, the specialist:
* Coordinates with preservation specialists in educational, non- profit and public institutions to exchange model preservation solutions in subjects such as urban design, interiors, security, sustainability, and reuse.
* Researches and articulates in writing and orally Historic Buildings program positions and issues undertaking the necessary research and documentation to persuasively support program recommendations.
* Conducts briefings and discussions with GSA management and staff and other external groups to resolve conflicting program goals, promote innovative preservation approaches, and develop consensus.
* Assists in providing recommendations for and participates in the implementation and evaluation of broad national preservation policies and program objectives.
At the GS-13, the specialist:
* Provides analyses of historic significance, condition, and treatment alternatives for the repair, alteration, maintenance, reuse, leasing and disposal of historic properties and guides regional design and real estate professionals and external design and construction teams.
* Keeps abreast of new initiatives to ensure the application of current knowledge to agency policy, standards, and planning, and prepares policy guidance, reports and educational materials to promote sound and innovative practices for maintaining the viability and integrity of historic buildings GSA owns, leases and acquires, to reduce project costs and best guide intervention with original materials.
* Provides guidance and information for contract service providers, tenant agencies, public officials outside GSA and those who have an interest in Federal public buildings controlled by GSA or affected by GSA activities.
Applicants must demonstrate in their resume and responses to the
vacancy questions that they meet the qualification requirements
described below. Applicants must meet all qualification and
eligibility requirements for this position within 30 days of the
closing date of the announcement.
To qualify for the GS-12 position, applicants must have one year of
specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 in the Federal service.
Specialized Experience: Specialized experience is
experience in the field of historic preservation and restoration
which includes: preservation design; historic building technology and
materials preservation; and familiarity with related disciplines such
as, but not limited to, archeology, preservation theory and law,
planning and architectural history. This experience must have
involved utilization of innovative and unique preservation
techniques, and skills and diplomacy in explaining and promoting the
preservation perspective both internally and with clients and
To qualify for the GS-13 position, applicants must have one year of
specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 in the Federal service.
Specialized Experience: Specialized experience is
experience which demonstrates expert knowledge of the field of
historic preservation, i.e., historic building research, survey,
analysis, construction and architecture and related disciplines such
as archeology, materials conservation and preservation theory and
law; ability to effectively lead others in managing major historic
preservation projects; knowledge of the methods used in conducting
public affairs duties for preservation issues; expert technical
knowledge of architectural conservation principles and practices;
skill in developing, negotiating and researching contracts for
preservation studies; and ability to review and interpret
If you are selected you must:
- serve a one-year probationary period (unless you are found to have
previously satisfied this requirement).
- be able to make a direct deposit to a financial organization for
your salary check.
- have registered with the Selective Service (Males born after
Applicants selected for employment will be required to complete
a "Declaration of Federal Employment" (OF-306) prior to being
appointed to determine their suitability for Federal employment.
Failure to answer all questions truthfully and completely or
providing false statements on the application may be grounds for not
hiring the applicant, dismissal after they begin work, and/or may be
punishable by fine or imprisonment (U.S. Code, Title 18, Section
A background security investigation is required for all new
appointments. Continued employment will be subject to successful
completion of a background security investigation and favorable
adjudication. Failure to successfully meet this requirement will be
grounds for termination.
Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and
employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United
States. The General Services Administration will provide the Social
Security Administration (SSA), and if necessary the Department of
Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's
Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to confirm work
Please see job description here for additional information: http://federalgovernmentjobs.us/jobs/Preservation-Specialist-1647304.html
This position requires occasional travel.