Reports to: Executive Director
Budget Responsibility: Garden/grounds budget
Supervisory Scope: Grounds staff and garden volunteers
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To advance the mission of Tudor Place by researching and preserving the cultural landscape.
1. Provide oversight of routine maintenance of all landscaped areas to include pest and disease control for all ornamental shrubs, trees, flowerbeds, and lawn areas.
2. Design and implement the seasonal change of color in the gardens coordinating perennials, annuals, and bulbs to create a visually pleasing environment for museum/garden visitors, year round.
3. Oversee conservation/maintenance of landscape features such as walkways, sidewalks, curbs, statues, and fountains.
4. Develop annual maintenance plans and budget to meet operational and capital needs of the department.
5. Maintain inventory of tools, maintenance equipment, and supplies required to service the landscape.
6. Locate, negotiate with, and oversee the work of independent contractors with regard to maintenance and repair.
7. Monitor the health of trees and plants to ensure safety of visitors.
8. Monitor safety procedures for gardeners.
9. Monitor plant and soil health and removal of invasive plants.
10. Maintain working files.
11. Collaborate with Director of Education on programs relating to garden.
12. Assist in providing special garden exhibits and sales items for the Museum Shop and special events.
13. Supervise garden volunteers.
14. Perform other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Bachelors degree or equivalent in horticulture and grounds management.
2. Three years, or equivalent experience relating to landscape management (preferably cultural landscapes).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
1. Understanding of the requirements for the maintenance and preservation of an historic landscape.
2. Knowledge of plant materials and propagation.
3. Ability to develop and monitor budgets.
4. Supervisory skills.
5. License to spray pesticides.
6. Familiarity with volunteer organizations.
7. Ability to work in a team environment.
8. Computer literacy.
9. Ability to develop management plans.