Carries out the archaeological component of the review and compliance program for the State Historic Preservation Office. Reviews and comments on survey reports, data recovery reports, and memoranda of agreement related to Section 106 projects and appropriate state-licensed projects. Makes determinations of National Register eligibility for archaeological sites and assesses the potential effects of proposed projects. Provides archaeological technical expertise to federal and state agencies, consultants, and private individuals. Makes site visits when appropriate. Interprets federal and state laws and regulations. Digitizes and manages cultural resource date using GIS software to maintain ArchSite in cooperation with the S.C. Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology.
MINIMUM AND ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
A graduate degree in archaeology, anthropology, or closely related field plus at least one year of full-time professional experience or equivalent specialized training in archaeological research, administration, or management; and at least four months of supervised field and analytic experience in general North American archaeology. Coursework or experience with GIS software.
Ability to legally operate a motor vehicle in South Carolina.
A graduate degree in archaeology or anthropology and 3 years full-time professional experience in archaeological research, administration, or management. Coursework or experience with GIS software and database management.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
* Knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of the field of archaeology. Familiarity with southeastern U.S. archaeology.
* Ability to review and evaluate archaeological projects and reports for adherence to federal and state laws and regulations and ability to make determinations of National Register eligibility for archaeological sites.
* Knowledge of geographic information systems (GIS) and database management. Experience with ArcGIS in a PC environment and Microsoft programs.
* Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with the public and staff.
* Excellent organizational and time management skills. Ability to juggle mutliple projects and deadlines.
* Ability to communicate in a clear and effective manner, including public presentations and all forms of written communications