City of New York/Parks & Recreation Seasonal Job Vacancy Notice
Civil Service Title: Community Associate
Office Title: Monuments Assistant
Salary: $18 - $22/hour
Duration: This is a grant funded 7 months seasonal position beginning February 2011.
Work Location: Arsenal, Manhattan
Number of Positions: 1
Parks & Recreation’s Art & Antiquities division maintains 800 monuments and artworks, organizes exhibitions of contemporary art at sites across the city and shows in the Arsenal Gallery, and produces historically based content for the agency.
Under general supervision, with latitude for independent initiative and judgment, perform difficult and responsible work for the Art & Antiquities division.
? Assist the Director of Art & Antiquities and Monuments Coordinator on a variety of tasks and projects relating to permanent public art and monuments.
? Create and update daily maintenance reports.
? Update and report monthly statistics for Mayor’s Management report.
? Assist with special projects including purchasing, storage inventory, photographic documentation, site mapping (GIS) and revision of monuments guidelines.
? Update web content and catalogue art books collection.
? Answer public inquiries and maintain monuments database and update catalog entries.
1. High school graduation or equivalent and three years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to duties described above.
2. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” above.
New York City residency required within 90 days of employment.
1. Bachelor’s degree or Masters degree in related field.
2. Excellent writing and research skills; must be detail oriented and have outstanding organizational skills.
3. Knowledge of New York City Parks sculpture and sculpture history, historic preservation and/or conservation techniques.
4. Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite.
5. Valid New York State driver license.
To apply, please submitt resume and cover letter by 01/31/11 to:
Jonathan Kuhn, Director of Art & Antiquities
City of New York/Parks & Recreation
830 Fifth Avenue,
New York, NY 10021
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer