SUMMARY OF JOB:
Executes the strategic company product development goals through product planning, creation of product design specifications as needed to accurately recreate historical designs, and verification of design intent through the development process, working in collaboration with Design Team, Product Management, and Engineering. Sorry, no relocation.
In the task of selecting historical designs and developing our products, there is almost no creative and inventive work as is practiced and enjoyed by most designers. However the role does require well honed skills typically used by a product designer:
* A highly developed sense of esthetics and a passion for design.
* Knowledge and sensitivity to the market and the target customer.
* The commitment to essential features that makes a design special.
* The skills to document a design for clear communication to engineering.
* The ability to contribute to the planning and development team, forwarding a design point of view.
* Knowledge of a broad spectrum of materials and manufacturing processes.
* Skill with shepherding a design through the engineering and manufacturing process so that inevitable compromises are well managed.
* Studies design and architectural history, as well as current home decor trends, as reference for product selection and design detailing
* Participates in identifying new product strategies and specific ideas to meet marketing goals
* Creates design specifications to accurately define new products based on historical designs
* Contributes to solving mechanical challenges as needed to achieve design intent
* Collaborates with Engineering to determine the effective utilization of manufacturing capabilities while achieving design intent
* Produces content for installation instructions and other product support materials to provide clear information to customers
* Performs other special projects or duties as assigned by Management
* Maintains design documentation to ensure current and accurate recordkeeping
* Complies with company handbooks and policies
SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS:
* Possesses a passion for design and architectural history
* Understands and embraces qualities of the brand
* Proficiency with MS Office products, Illustrator, and Photoshop required
* Skill with CAD, especially Autodesk Inventor, is very desirable
* High levels of English reading comprehension, writing, speaking, and active listening
* High levels of critical thinking, learning strategies, coordination, persuasion, negotiation, service orientation, complex problem solving, operations analysis, technology design, equipment selection, troubleshooting, judgment and decision making, originality, attention to detail, documentation, and research
* Moderate levels of confidentiality, flexibility, systems analysis and evaluation, quality control, instructing, and monitoring
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
* Bachelors degree in Industrial Design or a design-related field
* Five years of experience in product development
* Expert knowledge of architectural and product design history
* Familiarity with sheet metal fabrication, metal casting, finishing processes and glass production
* Intermittently lift, carry, pull, and push up to 25 pounds.
* Continuously see (with frequent visual acuity), sit, and balance.
* Continuously have repetitive use of arms, wrists, hands, and fingers, and grasping.
* Frequently hear and talk.
* Intermittently stand, stoop, bend, twist, crouch, kneel, crawl, walk on level and uneven surfaces, climb stairs and ladders, operate foot and hand controls, reach above shoulders, and squeeze.
* Constant use of computers
* Exposure to low levels of noise.
* Exposure to mild outdoor and indoor temperatures of heat and cold.
* Exposure to metals and electrical equipment.
* Non-smoking environment
* Odd or long hours occasionally
* May require occasional travel