Historic Rugby manages a visitor center and museum, several historic buildings, a restaurant, lodging facilities, and museum stores.. The organization is also heavily involved in the protection and selective development of large tracts of real estate in the community.
The Executive Director, hired by and reporting to the Board of Directors, will have hands-on responsibility for daily operations, providing general coordination and oversight for ongoing programs and facilities. and assistance with planning and development of new programs and facilities. The Executive Director will lead and assist in broad-based marketing and fundraising to assure that Historic Rugby is managed, preserved, and interpreted to professional standards. The Executive Director will work to increase Historic Rugbys audience and provide them with quality museum and historic site experiences.
Specific job responsibilities include implementation/oversight/management of:
- Marketing and fundraising activities, including grant research and preparation, annual fund campaign, membership maintenance and expansion, and other board-approved fundraising initiatives;
- Staff and volunteer planning and preparation for daily educational programming and diverse special events;
- Mission-related business activities museum store, food service, and lodging;
- Preservation, restoration and maintenance of buildings, grounds, and collections;
- Marketing and public relations to increase visitation;
- Financial accounting and reporting;
- General office operations, including membership renewal activities,
public information fulfillment, computer data and records;
- Easements and restrictive covenants held by Historic Rugby and related activities;
- Rugby and Cumberland Plateau heritage tourism initiatives and activities.
Required skills & abilities include:
Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university and at least five years of job-related experience with increasing management responsibility;
Strong computer proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, web site software and computer accounting software;
Strong oral and written communication and presentation experience and skills;
Fund raising and marketing experience and skills;
Experience and demonstrated skill in leading, motivating and coaching staff and volunteers in the attainment of organizational goals;
Experience with land conservation and development restrictions via easements and covenants desired;
Experience in the non-profit sector, with background in historic preservation, heritage tourism or conservation preferred.