· General municipal Planning, Project and Contract Management.
· Performs long-range comprehensive planning.
· Conducts independent research for special projects such as the Comprehensive Plan, Master Plan, property redevelopment, legislative amendments, etc.
· Provides staffing and technical assistance to the Historic District Commission (HDC), HCD applicants, members of the general public and to special historic projects.
· Reviews applications for development within the historic district and coordinates the review of development projects with City personnel and community agencies.
· Meets with outside groups interested in establishing or expanding businesses within the City as a point of first contact to discuss their plans and advise potential business recruits/expansion groups on the City process.
· Review proposals and applications to determine whether they meet legal submission requirements and to determine if they meet with City ordinances and development plans.
· Studies supportive materials necessary for initial assessments of projects and analyzes the projects to determine consistency with adopted State and City goals, policies, plans, and ordinances.
· Meets with applicants to negotiate proposed permit conditions.
· Aids in the selection and management of consultants by developing contracts, monitoring performance and billings, and reviewing technical analyses and documents.
· Reviews comments from the public and City departmental staff; prepares project reports with analysis and comments for public distribution.
· Makes oral presentations of reports before decision-making bodies.
· Confers with City staff to ensure compliance with conditions of approval and proper implementation of the project.
· Researches land use, transportation requirements, community design, resource constraints, environmental thresholds, and other development or environmental issues.
· Analyzes data to compile reports on development policies; computes descriptive statistics from data to incorporate in reports; interprets adopted State and City policies, guidelines, ordinances, and zoning regulations for the public.
· Serves as project manager for complex projects or participates in teams undertaking highly complex projects for special planning studies or energy-related policies that are required to implement, amend, or revise the Comprehensive Plan.
· Compiles, develops, and indexes a wide variety of resource data using a computerized data base; develops or supervises the development of reference materials, brochures, and computer information systems to clarify and streamline the permit process and to make public information available concerning zoning and land use permit requirements.
· Assigns work to and provides training for support staff; responds to questions related to general processes and specific cases; reviews and edits planning related staff reports and recommendations.