PAL, a leading cultural resource management and historic preservation planning consulting firm in New England, seeks an experienced Industrial Archaeologist. The Industrial Archaeologist (IA) coordinates the technical and logistical aspects of research, fieldwork, data collection and analysis, and synthesis of data within project specific research designs and frameworks. Project responsibilities include performing field excavations, conducting archival research, photo-documentation, survey mapping/recordation, and development and execution of site evaluations. The IA conducts industrial structure, landscape, and artifact analyses, writes technical reports, and coordinates report preparation. Assigned projects primarily consist of locations with documented industrial resources (standing structures, archaeological sites, ruins, and landscapes) in a variety of urban, suburban, and rural settings. The IA reports to a Principal Investigator.
Key requirements include:
· M.A. in industrial archaeology or a related field
· Three to five years of experience supervising field excavation projects, with an emphasis on industrial sites
· Proven track record conducting thorough, accurate, and well-documented research
· Knowledge and experience involving adherence to regulatory standards and guidelines for cultural resources management, archaeology, and preservation planning
· Preparation of final reports consistent with the Secretary of the Interior's Standards and Guidelines for Archaeology and Historic Preservation that meet time and budget goals
· Excellent organizational, written, and verbal communication skills
· Pro-active, problem-solving, and team-oriented approach to research and field issues
· Experience with relational database applications, preferably in networked Windows environment
· Highly proficient orienteering and mapping skills using a map and compass, handheld GPS, and/or total station/transit
· A valid drivers license, ability to relocate to southern New England, and willingness to travel to a combination of local and non-local projects throughout the Northeast
· Ability to pass a background and security check as required by clients
Located in the greater Providence area, PAL offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package. We seek motivated self-starters who are willing to work hard, communicate effectively, and make a strong contribution to a professional team.
PAL is an Equal Opportunity Employer