The Executive Director should carry out the following tasks:
· Coordinate the activity of the Main Street program committees, ensuring that communication between committees is well established; assist committee volunteers with implementation of work plan items.
· Manage all administrative aspects of the Main Street Program, including purchasing, record keeping, budget development and accounting, preparing all reports required by the coordinating Main Street program and the National Main Street Center, assisting with the preparation of reports of funding agencies and supervising employees or consultants.
· Develop, in conjunction with the Main Street programs board of directors, economic development strategies that are based on historic preservation and utilize the communitys human and economic resources. Become familiar with all persons and groups directly or indirectly involved in the commercial district. Mindful of the roles of various interest groups, assist the Main Street programs board of directors and committees in developing an annual action plan for implementing a commercial revitalization program focused on four areas: design/historic preservation; promotion and marketing; organization/management; and economic restructuring/development.
· Develop and conduct on-going public awareness and education programs designed to enhance appreciation of the commercial districts assets and to foster an understanding of the Main Street programs goals and objectives. Use speaking engagements, media interviews, and personal appearances to keep the program in the public eye.
· Assist individual tenants or property owners with physical improvement projects through personal consultation or by obtaining and supervising professional design consultants; assist in locating appropriate contractors and materials; when possible, participate in construction supervision; provide advice and guidance on necessary financial mechanisms for physical improvements.
· Assess the management capacity of major stakeholder organizations and encourage improvements in the communitys ability to carry out joint activities such as promotion events, advertising, appropriate store hours, special events, business assistance, business recruitment, parking management, and so on. Provide advice and information on successful commercial district management. Encourage a cooperative climate among commercial district interests and local public officials.
· Advise commercial district merchants organizations and/or chamber of commerce retail committees on Main Street program activities and goals; help coordinate joint promotion events, such as festivals or business promotions, to improve the quality and success of events and attract people to the commercial district; work closely with local media to ensure maximum coverage of promotional activities; encourage design excellence in all aspects of promotion in order to advance an image of quality for the commercial district.
· Help build strong and productive relationships with appropriate public agencies at the local and state levels.
· Utilizing the Main Street program format, develop and maintain data systems to track the progress of the local Main Street program. These systems should include economic monitoring, individual building files, photographic documentation of physical changes, and statistics on job creation and business retention.
· Represent the community to important constituencies at the local, state, and national levels. Speak effectively on the programs directions and work, mindful of the need to improve state and national economic development poli