Internships in the Education Department at Morven Park expose individuals to the many aspects of museum education including program research and development. Through hands-on experiences with summer camp programs, Interns learn valuable leadership and programming skills. Interns work closely with Education Department staff, gaining increased awareness of the operations of a historic site and experience working at a non-profit recreational facility.
Interns are responsible for the following objectives:
· Attend two training sessions to become familiar with Morven Park programs, facilities and procedures.
· Serve as a Summer KaMP (Kids at Morven Park) counselor for Morven Parks three summer KaMPs, and act as lead instructor for select lessons.
· During the weeks in between KaMPs, assist with KaMP planning and preparation.
· Complete evaluations of the KaMP programs, utilizing participant, parent and staff feedback, and provide suggestions for improvements.
· Take ownership of an educational project and work collaboratively with supervisor to complete during the course of the internship.
· Shadow other Morven Park departments to see how an historic site is managed.
· Complete other responsibilities as assigned.
Interns must be 18 years or older and should be interested in one of the following fields: History, American Studies, Education, Agriculture, Biology, Sports Management, Museum Studies or Public History. The successful candidate will possess the following attributes:
· Self-motivated with an outstanding work ethic
· Experience working with children
· Ability to work successfully in a team environment
· Enthusiastic and willing to learn new skills and ideas
· Strong public speaking ability
· Ability to think on your feet and adapt to changing environments
Internships are full-time positions lasting eight weeks (June 16, 2014 through August 8, 2014.) Education Interns work a minimum of 20 hours per week when KaMP is not in session. Hours may vary depending on the duties assigned each week. Some weekend availability preferred but not required.
June 19- Training, 6 hours
June 23-27- Summer Fun KaMP Session One, approximately 40 hours
July 7-11- Summer Fun KaMP Session Two, approximately 40 hours
July 21-25- Outdoor Adventures KaMP, approximately 40 hours
July 28- Summer KaMP Debrief, 3 hours