Seeking a high school teacher or career professional looking to become a high school teacher to provide a career and technical education instructional program in historic preservation. Preferred applicants should have education and broad experience in a preservation-related field (the building trades, planning, and/or design) for developing and delivering an effective high school curriculum. The selected candidate will use theoretical instruction and applied learning methods to teach introductory and advanced classes in the practice and methodology of historic preservation; effectively positioning students for higher education, professional apprenticeships and careers in the preservation trades.
Candidate must have a New York State teaching certification in the content area with satisfactory ratings and attendance,
For transitional CTE certification, Candidate must have:
· Work experience in the specialization area for a minimum of 2 years, and must provide proof of work with W-2 Forms and letters from employers.
· Have an Associate Degree, Bachelors Degree or equivalent, with 30 semester hours or more of content core in the subject matter
· Possibly take and pass a Competency Skills Test to determine competency in the specialization area as administered by the State Education Department. Tests are not available for all CTE subjects
· Work experience in the specialization area for a minimum of 4 years, and must provide proof of work with W-2 Forms and letters from employers.
· Have a High School Diploma or a General Education Diploma (GED).
· Take the Communication and Qualitative Skills Test (CQST) and receive a satisfactory grade. (The test is offered every 2 months and registration to take the test is required at least 1 month before the test date. The test is administered by the State Education Department and the on-line address for registration is http://www.nystce.neinc.com)
· Possibly take and pass a Competency Skills Test to determine competency in the specialization area as administered by the State Education Department. Tests are not available for all CTE subjects.
(This transitional certification is valid for 3 years, after which additional coursework and student teaching is required for Initial Certification: see
for more details.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Because roles in new small schools are varied and complex, serious consideration will be given to applicants who demonstrate in their résumé and cover letter experience and/or willingness to commit to the schools mission and core beliefs, and who demonstrate an ability to:
- Help to shape and assess the instructional requirements of students and provide orientation and instruction in preservation related competencies;