The Executive Director (ED) will lead the organization into a new phase of growth by deepening HSCs organizational capacity to attract resources, communicate its work to a broader audience of supporters, and be established as the go to service provider for community design tools and the go to builders of community infrastructure in NYC. The incoming Executive Director will face a dual challenge: To continue to lead with results and expand HSCs profile and sphere of influence to local, citywide, and national platforms. At the same time the individual selected will lead the work required to strengthen the organizations foundation by collaborating with the board to improve management practices and operational infrastructure, grow financial reserves and widen the circle of support. Leading HSC in its next chapter offers a unique opportunity for a creative visionary and hands-on manager committed to genuine community participation in shaping vital urban places.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Management
Ensure that the organization has a long-range strategy and annual work plan, which advances its mission, and toward which it makes consistent, measurable and timely progress.
Manage and grow the positive presence HSC has established in the Lower East Side community.
Manage a robust, collaborative relationship with the Board of Directors.
Manage the work effort and day to day operations; cultivate an effective management team; delegate appropriate levels of staff authority while ensuring accountability for results.
Attract, retain and develop an energetic, talented and diverse staff committed to the values and practices at the core of HSCs mission. Effectively review and manage staff performance to build a high functioning team.
Program Planning, Development and Evaluation
Lead program planning and development with staff, partners and input from Board of Directors.
Oversee assessment methodology and regularly evaluate how well program goals and objectives have been met; periodically assesses stakeholder satisfaction with each program
Establish strong working relationships with a wide range of community stakeholders; identify opportunities to advance the organizations programs and strategy through shared goals.
Administration and Finance
· Assure adequate control and accounting of all funds, develop and maintain sound record keeping and financial management practices.
· Prepare and manage an annual budget in collaboration with the Board of Directors.
· Assure that funds are disbursed in accordance with contract requirements and donor designations.
· Diligently protect the organization from undue financial, legal and reputational risks.
· Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations and reporting requirements.
· Develop and implement ambitious but achievable fundraising plans in conjunction with the Board; execute an annual plan to meet and exceed the organizations financial goals.
· Establish, manage and grow positive relationships with government, foundation and corporate funders.
· Cultivate individual donors and manage relationships to grow their support and engagement.