Planning Assistant is the entry-level professional planning position for the City of Los Angeles. Because the current Planning Assistant civil service bulletin now includes a specific "selective certification" for candidates with significant historic preservation experience, the Department of City Planning is seeking to recruit talented candidates with historic preservation expertise to join the Department's Office of Historic Resources.
A Planning Assistant may work in historic preservation planning for the Department of City Plannings Office of Historic Resources, helping to oversee the Citys 29 historic districts (Historic Preservation Overlay Zones), the Mills Act Historical Property Contract financial incentives program, and project review affecting historic resources across the city. Other Planning Assistants perform professional city planning work in long-range and policy planning, including citywide, community and neighborhood planning; and project planning, including review, analysis and clearance of land use proposals, development projects, and site plans. A Planning Assistant may have specialized expertise in historic preservation, environmental analysis, and/or zoning review and compliance.
The City of Los Angeles seeks applications from talented, creative candidates who can navigate a city of remarkable complexity and diversity, serving residents from more than 140 countries and speaking more than 220 languages.
1. Graduation from a recognized four-year college or university with a Bachelors or Masters degree in urban planning, urban studies, urban design, architecture, landscape architecture, geography, public administration, political science, environmental science, social ecology, economics, or historic preservation; or
2. Four years of full-time paid experience with the City of Los Angeles as a Planning Aide
3. In addition to answering the regular City application supplemental questions, each applicant is required to complete the Planning Assistant Qualification Questionnaire at the time of filing. The Planning Assistant Qualification Questionnaire is located within the Supplemental Questions section of the City application. Applicants who fail to complete the Qualification Questionnaire will not be considered further in this examination, and their application will not be processed.
4. Achievement of a passing score in the qualifying written test.
Selective certification will be used for some positions that require special skills and/or training. Only persons possessing the following as to the close of the filing period may be certified in order of standing on the eligible list to fill such positions:
1. One year of full-time paid experience in the field of zoning review and/or code enforcement.
2. One year of full-time paid experience in the field of environmental policy and/or environmental analysis. California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) experience is highly preferred.
3. One year of full-time paid experience in the field of historic preservation, including the implementation and application of the Secretary of the Interiors Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties, as to proposals affecting historic buildings; or academic degree with a major or concentration specifically focused on historic preservation or historic preservation planning.