The Eastern Shore of Virginia Historical Society is seeking a candidate for the part-time position of Collections Manager (24 hours/week). This position involves managing the acquisition, registration, cataloging, environmental control, loan processing, records computerization, storage maintenance, arrangement and description of collection pieces. This position will also handle requests for photographic reprints, and retrieving materials in response to research requests. They will also be responsible for conferring with the Executive Director on potential donors or loan items. They must be able to answer questions, solicit and manage volunteers, and present monthly status reports. Please send resume, cover letter and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Preferred Bachelor's degree in Museum Sciences, Library Sciences, History or a related field with two (2) years experience in a museum setting, or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have a creative and self-starting attitude to carry ideas from conception to completion.
2. Must have basic computer skills, and must be able to learn Past Perfect Museum Software
3. Must be available to work a varied work week to include weekends, evenings and holidays as required.
4. Grant writing experience a plus.
1. Responsible for the security of artifacts in museum collection and exhibit areas. Performs walk through of exhibit and storage areas to check for security issues including insect/pest presence, environmental concerns such as water leaks, and Administrative maintenance of areas. Communicates findings with the Executive Director and performs follow through if necessary work is to be performed.
2. Prepares facilities for upcoming traveling exhibits. Processes all necessary paperwork related to the exhibits such as condition report, damage reports, correspondence with lenders, storage paperwork, etc. Schedules volunteers to assist with set up of exhibit.
3. Works closely with in-house exhibits. Compiles lists for Executive Director and staff of objects and photographs. Compiles historical information on collection objects or photographs for labels or brochures.
4. Process duplication requests from photo collection when required. Makes arrangements for reprints and enlargements and processes necessary paperwork for requests. Creates invoices for Archive services.
5. Works closely with the public in regard to requests for information. These requests may include research of local historical collection from newspapers, photographs, maps, etc.
6. Processes Collection objects on loan to outside entities. Assures adherence to approved procedures for check out of items. Processes proper paperwork.
7. Catalogues museum objects using specified process, i.e. cleaning, producing description, numbering object, photographing, processing identification tag, and ensuring proper storage of object.
8. Maintains a complete inventory of museum collection using computer database system, Past Perfect.
9. Maintains computer history of collection including check out dates and by whom, return dates, condition of object, etc.
10. Prepares for special events such as exhibit openings, programs, etc.