The General Manager will develop the long term vision for Naumkeag House and Gardens and the Mission House and lead the staff and volunteers in working effectively together to achieve the vision. While the General Manager will work with both properties, Naumkeag will be the primary focus. The GM will create and implement the vision and business plans with the direction of the Regional Director, in alignment with the Strategic Plan of The Trustees, statewide and regional objectives, and based on a thorough understanding of the historic, cultural, agricultural and natural significance of Naumkeag and its Spirit of Place. The GM will ensure the long term financial sustainability of Naumkeag through the delivery of specific goals related to engagement, stewardship, cultural resources, visitor experience, volunteers, farming, enterprise growth and general management.
The General Manager reports to the Regional Director and is a member of the West Region Management Team .This position is based in Stockbridge and will include travel across the West region and some state travel. The work schedule requires flexibility with evening and weekend commitments.
Leadership and Management:
· Establish the vision and direction to drive property performance forward and deliver results aligned with statewide, regional and local strategies and key performance indicators. Ensure the property objectives are balanced with regard to engagement, stewardship, enterprise and conservation objectives.
· Create and implement a property business plan identifying the resources needed.
· Communicate the successes to key staff, volunteers and internal and external stakeholders.
· Lead and inspire a collegial team of local, regional and statewide staff
· Set and achieve financial targets, including stretch goals, and realize opportunities for generating income
· Monitor and deploy resources effectively in line with the management plan.
· Work closely with the West Region, Program Leadership, Marketing, Development and Finance to realize plans.
Engagement, Volunteers, Membership and Audience Development:
· Create an engaging visitor experience and audience engagement plan that grows the involvement of members of The Trustees in the Berkshires region and its programs, events, and tours.
· Champion volunteerism at Naumkeag and the surrounding properties. Ensure excellent training, management and recognition of volunteers.
· Develop and implement a rewards program that grows membership and creates a high performing sales team.
· Engage with the local community to promote a forward- looking culture that increases visibility and affinity with The Trustees.
Stewardship of Cultural, Natural and Agricultural Resources: