Adirondack Architectural Heritage (AARCH) is the regional, nonprofit, historic preservation organization for the Adirondack Park, with a mission to further better public understanding, appreciation and stewardship of the Adirondacks' architectural heritage, communities, and historic sites through education, advocacy, technical assistance, and direct action.
AARCH seeks a creative, collaborative, and highly organized individual to serve as our Communications and Development Director. This person will provide leadership and delivery in all areas of communications and development to promote and strengthen the mission and programs of AARCH to current and potential members, funders, and the larger community and to help maintain and grow diverse revenue streams in support of AARCHs program and budget goals. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Communications and Development Director will be an integral member of a four person staff.
In cooperation with the Executive Director and other appropriate staff and board members:
- Develop and implement communication strategies and campaigns to promote the mission and programs of AARCH with an emphasis on reaching new and diverse audiences, growing AARCHs effectiveness and influence, and enhancing understanding of and financial support for the organizations work.
- Increase the visibility of AARCH through these communications strategies across multiple platforms including the web, social media, print and digital publications, and other public relations vehicles.
- Manage communication tools including newsletter, e-newsletter, brochures, website, and AARCHs social media strategy and ensure consistency in all AARCH communications.
- Conduct presentations at various venues including but not limited to community meetings and AARCH sponsored events.
In cooperation with the Executive Director and other appropriate staff and board members, the Communications and Development Director will oversee the planning and implementation of a strategic, well-positioned development plan with multiple revenue development initiatives that includes:
§ Growing the AARCH membership and cultivating greater individual giving to the organization, including through major gifts, the annual appeal, and an expanded program of planned giving.
§ Growing corporate and business support through memberships, sponsorships, and unrestricted giving.
- Growing the support that AARCH receives from foundations.
- Organizing annual fundraising events, including the annual benefit event, raffle, and golf tournament; and member/donor cultivation events.
- Developing web and social media based initiatives for fundraising.
- Identifying and responding to potential new funding sources.
- Developing merchandise offerings.
- Managing databases related to these development activities.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- General: Bachelors degree, with advanced degree in relevant field preferred, and 3-5 years of professional experience in the nonprofit sector or in a related field. Interest and experience in historic preservation is desirable.