Urban Roots FarmCorps program seeks to use gardens as outdoor classrooms to improve students interest in school and healthy foods.
AmeriCorps members will use hands-on, standards-based STEM and nutrition education to improve academic engagement, install and maintain school gardens, and provide workshops and outreach to promote sustainable agriculture and environmentally-conscious techniques in Washoe County Schools and Walker River Paiute and Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribal lands.
· Successful completion of a background check, camp training, severe allergy training, and CPR/First Aid Training;
· Must be over 17 years of age;
· Must be a US citizen that has received a high school diploma or GED;
· All applicants must be available for the entirety of the summer work period;
· Experience and/or strong interest in environmental education and sustainable agriculture;
· Coursework in environmental education or a related field;
· Willingness to complete labor-intensive farm work;
· Willingness to work closely with a small team;
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
· Able to lift and carry 50lbs and lead activities in all weather conditions.