GENERAL STATEMENT OF JOB
The Spartanburg County Historical Association has an immediate need for Staff Preservationist and Collections Manager. The SCHA is a non-profit organization that owns and operates Walnut Grove Plantation, the Historic Price House, and the Seay House, all in Spartanburg County. In addition, the organization operates the Spartanburg Regional History Museum at the Chapman Cultural Center in Spartanburg, SC. The individual in this role will be responsible for the preservation initiatives of the Spartanburg County Historical Association (SCHA) as well as the care of the organizations artifact collections. This is a 28 hr/week position under the supervision of the Executive Director. As a key member of a small staff, the Staff Preservationist and Collections Manager will be expected to collaborate with other members of the lead staff team to accomplish other tasks as necessary. The employee will be expected to work a flexible schedule each week in order to best address the SCHAs preservation and maintenance needs.
HISTORIC PRESERVATION & COLLECTIONS MANAGEMENT
· Develop strategic plans to ensure long-term preservation of historic sites, structures, and artifacts
· Oversee current preservation projects and initiatives at historic sites
· Work with lead staff team to develop plan for artifact collection, storage, and preservation
· Identify and oversee urgent preservation work as it arises
· Oversee accessioning and deaccessioning processes for artifact collections
· Assist with development of exhibits and programs related to artifact collections
· Strong writing and research skills to assist with grant applications for preservation and collections initiatives
· Provide oversight on all major repairs to historic buildings
· In conjunction with appropriate property caretaker, respond to any alarms, as needed
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
A Bachelors Degree in History or related field with an emphasis on Historic Preservation and two (2) years of experience in preservation or collections management; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Must possess a valid drivers license.