Planning & Development
Brief Job Description (essential functions of the job):
Works in the Environment Department under the supervision of the Exec. Director of the Boston Landmarks Commission as part of the preservation team. Supervises district staff and BLC staff architect and directly performs duties of staff administration for three historic districts in assisting their commissions with design review. Day-to-day duties include processing applications, preparing agendas, mailings, conducting staff reviews, preparing comments and correspondence, and pursuing violations. Ensures coordinated and consistent design review protocols and operating procedures across all districts and individually designated landmarks, existing and pending. Assists in developing and implementing citywide programs with the Landmarks Commission. Participates in outreach and public information, planning for the city's preservation agency, coordination with other agencies and organizations, and performs other duties necessary as part of the preservation staff. Performs related work as required.
Minimum Entrance Qualifications:
- Applicant must have at least five (5) years of fulltime, or equivalent part-time, experience in the area of preservation management.
- Strong organization skills, communication skills, and writing skills required.
- Ability to review plans and proposals to ensure compliance with applicable guidelines and regulatory mandates. Ability to communicate architectural and preservation concepts and to work with commissioners, developers, design and construction professionals, property owners, staff of the Environment Department and other agencies, elected officials, community and preservation organizations, and the general public.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job.
- Familiarity with preservation programs and regulations and with administrative law is desirable.
- B.A. in preservation studies, fine arts, architecture, or a related field may be substituted for two (2) years of the required experience. M.A. in the above listed fields may be substituted for an additional year of experience.