Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Director will be a key partner in all aspects of the continued transformation of fundraising at the DC Preservation League. The Director will aid in designing development strategies that build a comprehensive major gifts program. S/he will take the lead on identifying new revenue sources and will implement and coordinate cultivation and stewardship plans for all constituencies. The Director of Development will become a trusted and respected partner to the staff and Board of Trustees and be capable of engaging and guiding them in the development process and of acting as an impeccable ambassador for DCPLs reputation with high-level prospects and donors.
· Thoroughly understand the DC Preservation Leagues mission, values, culture, history, policies, key stakeholders, programs, and finances.
· Become broadly conversant in the organizations programs and outreach.
· With the Executive Director, create and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy that incorporates foundations, corporations, and individual donors, with the goal of diversifying DCPLs revenue stream and building greater awareness in the philanthropic community of its mission and accomplishments.
· Create an annual prospecting strategy and identify new funding sources that expand the current donor base and increase restricted and unrestricted charitable donations.
· Cultivate, deepen, and maintain long-term relationships with major foundation and corporate prospects and donors.
· Develop a planned giving program.
· Oversee the grant calendar and the writing and submission of customized proposals/reports to foundation and corporate funders.
· Create a process to strategically cultivate relationships with potential individual major donors.
· Maintain fundraising schedules and objectives, ensuring that plans are implemented, targets achieved, and information shared.
Ideal Candidate Requirements:
· At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in fundraising, preferably in a humanities-based or cultural resources organization.
· Proven experience in developing fundraising strategies that expanded both a donor base and charitable revenue.
· Comprehensive knowledge of all phases of donor pipeline management, including prospect research, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
· Record of securing major gifts from all constituencies, including foundations, corporations, and individuals.
· Experience with major foundations, including experience in foundation research, sustained outreach to grant officers, and tailored cultivation and stewardship plans.
· Strong written communication skills, with the ability to write and edit a large number of clear and concise proposals.
· Capacity to be articulate, polished, and sophisticated in interactions with high-level individuals and groups; comfortable interacting with intelligent, influential, and wealthy people.
· Experience working closely with senior leaders and demonstrated ability to facilitate, guide, and encourage their engagement in the development process.
· Successful experience supervising and mentoring a staff and leading day-to-day activities.
· A record of success in analyzing and identifying problems, formulating creative solutions, and being resourceful and tenacious in implementing them.