Under the supervision of the Site Manager, this position performs moderately complex consultative services and technical assistance work for the Mission Dolores State Historic Site of the Texas Historical Commission (THC). Work involves planning, developing, and implementing a full range of interpretive, educational, and outreach programs and events intended to promote the sites history, increase visitation, and encourage stakeholder participation. Work under general supervision, with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
1. Implement interpretive programs at the site.
2. Improve and modify existing programs, events, and exhibits as required.
3. Research, develop and deliver new interpretive programs.
4. Perform research related to the sites collections, exhibits, and cultural/natural resources as needed.
5. Monitor and review programs for policy compliance and adherence to site goals.
6. Participate in volunteer recruitment, training, and scheduling.
7. Prepare reports and maintain records, particularly in regard to site programming.
8. Conduct outreach programs both on and off site for diverse audiences.
9. Write articles for newspapers, newsletters and publications, print or electronic, for all audiences.
10. Speak to public and private groups to promote interest in the site and museum.
11. Use social media and new media as interpretive tools.
12. Assist with supervision of interns and volunteers from time to time, particularly in the absence of the Site Manager.
13. Assist in site marketing efforts by creating advertisements, print materials, and website/social media posts to promote programs and special events.
14. Assist with front counter duties including revenue handling, museum retail sales, phone calls, and visitor interactions as needed.
15. Assist with light maintenance and housekeeping, as needed.
16. May train others.
17. Adhere to established work schedule with regular attendance.
18. Follow all THC safety guidelines/procedures and ethics requirements.
Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: