This position has responsibility for collaborating across the department and working with the Senior Vice President (SVP) to set strategic plans for individual National Treasure campaigns and the portfolio as a whole. S/he plays a key role in building Field Services into one cohesive and effective department. Senior Field Directors (SFDs) also have increased fundraising responsibilities, working closely with the SVP and Resources Development. The SFD is asked to represent the Trust with partner groups (both traditional and nontraditional). SFDs also sit on the Leadership Team at the National Trust.
National Treasures Work with the SVP and Chief Preservation Officer to help set and implement portfolio-wide strategies for National Treasures, including through the use of data analysis and metrics to address issues such as capacity and timing. The National Trust's National Treasures program encompasses innovative preservation solutions for a broad range of threatened sites and buildings with national significance.
Fundraising & Budgeting Achieve fundraising goals for Field Services and general National Trust support. Involved with cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. Help in the development and monitoring of Field Service/National Treasure budgets.
Strategic Planning Assist the SVP in developing and organizing Field staff retreats.
Personnel Management Provide direct management and supervision of at least three Field staff. Ensure collaboration between project managers and Regional Business Managers in developing National Treasure budgets. Provide oversight of National Treasure projects and project managers. Approve and monitor time reporting by field staff. Provide timely performance reviews of staff. Detetermine staffing, budgeting, professional development, performance management and team management for assigned reports.
Project Management Ensure that project plans with stated goals and objectives are created that ensure successful outcomes for National Treasure projects. Lead and participate on multiple project teams to ensure collaboration with National Trust staff, outside partners, National Trust Advisors and other interested parties to undertake these projects. SFDs also:
- Communicate status of projects and teams proactively and regularly to the SVP.
- Ensure projects are executed according to work plans, stay on schedule/budget and that SVP is informed of delays, challenges and changes to approved project plans.
- Ensure project planning, scoping and budgeting follow established processes, and that SVP approves project plan/scope/budget.
- Hold regular, effective meetings with assigned teams and direct reports, and regularly check work of teams and direct reports.
- Ensure that hours are logged accurately and on time for self, assigned project teams and staff.
- Provide effective guidance and coaching on project management; suggest appropriate solutions to resolve project and/or team issues; and have teams respond quickly and effectively to project-plan changes.
- Clearly and regularly communicate short- and long-term goals for projects and ensure root causes of problems are identified and addressed. Provide resources to resolve problems as required. Inform SVP and/or CPO as appropriate to resolve issues.
- Ensuire high quality work is performed on assigned projects, and that project processes are developed, followed and enhanced as appropriate.
- Monitor labor utilization of assigned projects and direct reports.
Integration of programs in the work of the National Trust Lead and work collaboratively with cross-Trust project teams to ensure successful outcomes for National Treasure campaigns, and contribute to work undertaken on Preservation Priorities when appropriate. This integration will be reflected in strategic plans, the annual work plan, and performance metrics, and will be part of evaluation cycles.
Other Continuously enhance skills related to use of rapidly changing technology and utilize communications best practices. Are responsible for achieving high quality results with general supervision. Additional duties as assigned.
Leadership and Management Skills
- At least 15 years of professional level experience, including experience with budgeting, staffing, supervising professionals and leading teams to generate high quality results.
- At least 7 years of experience managing large, cross-functional projects and teams, preferably within a national level non-profit setting.
- Experience building, managing and tracking complex project budgets.
- Demonstrated success in leading and managing a diverse team with varied skills; effective team player and leadership skills, and a strong commitment to diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategies with paid and volunteer staff, as well as outside vendors.
- Proven ability to collaborate across divisions to implement processes and achieve results.
- Track record of building and maintaining productive relationships with multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrated capability to work effectively within a geographically distributed organization and across internal departments.
- Effective presentation skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of key-players in the preservation field required.
- Demonstrated success in building, managing, and leading complex programs and projects to meet quantifiable outcomes.
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills, including issue identification and prioritization.
- Advanced project-management, team-management and client-management skills. Ability to achieve results with limited supervision.
- Experience successfully managing internal stakeholders and relationships.
- Experience supervising professional staff, as well as successfully managing key internal and external stakeholders and relationships.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task efficiently and respond to a high volume of ongoing requests in a timely fashion.
- Significant fundraising and relationship building skills required
- Previous work in historic preservation, planning, or allied fields strongly preferred.
- Proven ability to continually develop skills related to use of rapidly changing technology and communications best practices.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit and skill set.
- Ability to achieve results with general supervision.
- Experience in business development, marketing and fundraising a plus.