Pinyon Environmental, Inc., located in Lakewood, Colorado, is seeking a mid-level architectural historian/historic preservation specialist to join our cultural resources technical group. The candidate will prepare appropriate site forms and technical reports in compliance with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act and Section 4(f) of the Department of Transportation Act. Duties will also include support for National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) compliance as well as compliance with applicable local, state, and federal regulations, with regard to historic resources. The candidate will evaluate the potential eligibility of resources, impacts (or effects) that projects may have, prepare consultation documentation to the State Historic Preservation Officer (SHPO), and assist with identification and preparation of mitigation strategies. Work will be conducted under the supervision of a senior historian.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Candidate will meet or exceed the Secretary of the Interiors Professional Qualification Standards.
· Bachelors degree, at a minimum, in History, Architectural History, Planning, Historic Preservation, Archaeology, etc.
· Valid driver license and good driving record.
· Currently located in the Denver, Colorado metropolitan area, or willingness to locate to Denver, Colorado.
· Four-plus years of experience in historic preservation (graduate school or internships will be considered as part of the experience).
· Experience applying the National Register Criteria and/or Secretary of the Interiors Standards for Rehabilitation
· Academic or work experience in Architectural History and/or Architectural Survey.
· Experience with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act, NEPA, and Section 4(f) of the Department of Transportation Act.
· Experience working on projects for state department of transportations and for projects under the jurisdiction of the Federal Highway Administration or Federal Transit Administration desired, but not required.
· Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) are required.
· Strong critical thinking and problem solving is essential.
Ability to work in a collaborative environment, and often under tight deadlines.