Principal Function: The Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer (VP & CMO) reports to the President/CEO, and as the chief marketing strategist for the organization is responsible for managing the advertising, public relations, social media, digital media, website, collateral materials, writing/editing, signage, messaging, market research and overall branding and reputation for the organization. Additional responsibilities include overseeing the Guest Services, Membership and Museum Store function/departments of the organization. The VP & CMO is responsible for the Conner Prairie brand and raising awareness to advance both the short and long-term vision for Conner Prairie - to be one of Indianaís most important assets for culture, tourism and learning and the best venue in the state for engaging children and adults in fun, active explorations of Indianaís past, present, and future.
The VP & CMO is one of four Vice Presidents reporting directly to and working with the President/CEO to form the Conner Prairie Leadership Team (CPLT) operating Conner Prairie Museum (CPM). The Leadership Team works with CPM Board committees on various operational and governance matters that advance the organizationís mission and strategic goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Develops, implements and tracks an integrated marketing communications plan for the organization.
- Oversees relationships with outside advertising, creative and media buying firms - sets meetings, budgets, scope of work - includes members of the organizationís staff for input and approvals as appropriate.
- Informs the President & CEO and members of the CPLT on communications issues and trends affecting the overall organization. Writes and/or manages "thought leadership" communications for museum leadership.
- Promotes the organization locally, regionally and globally to build ongoing public support impacting attendance, membership and philanthropy.
- Serves as an ambassador and representative/spokesperson for the organization in the community - serving on appropriate boards, committees and tasks forces, as appropriate.
- Plans, develops and executes all facets of the Annual Meeting with CEO input.
- Serves as the marketing liaison with Conner Prairie Alliance and Horizon Council.
- Works closely with the Development department to create messaging and materials to impact fund-raising efforts.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervises the Director of Marketing, Director of Guest Services & Membership, Director of Public Relations, and the Museum Store Manager. Employee carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organizationís policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include, interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; scheduling and approving time worked; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor's degree (B.A./B.S.) in marketing, communications, business, visual communication, graphic design, or other related field is required; Masterís degree (M.A./M.B.A.) is desired; or ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Previous experience as a Director of Marketing or Communications is required. Supervisory experience is required. Previous experience working in the museum and/or entertainment park industry is desired.