The Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of Heritage Works fundraising including, the major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving, special events and capital campaigns. The Director works closely with The Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Directors in all development and fund raising endeavors.
· Must embrace the mission of Heritage Works
· Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
· Have knowledge and experience in fund raising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising.
· Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers.
· Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
· Be a self-starter and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
· Be organized and exhibit follow through on tasks and goals.
· Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
· A bachelors degree and at least three to five years of experience in fundraising/development.
ACTUAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them.
2. Develop and manage timelines for each of the fundraising activities to ensure strategic plans and critical fundraising processes are carried out in a timely manner.
3. Implement and grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
4. Oversee opportunities for grant funding including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
5. Build the planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies.
6. Implement a membership program that will include multiple levels of membership.
7. Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
8. Direct capital campaigns and other major fundraising drives.
9. Coordinate fund raising special events.
10. Oversee prospect research.
11. Work closely with Heritage Works Chief Executive Officer, and Board of Directors.
12. Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about the Heritage Works mission with the community.
13. Chair Board Development Committee meetings.
14. Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems that respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information.
15. Engage volunteers for fund development projects using established volunteer management practices.
16. Oversee creation of publications to support fund raising activities.
17. Maintain gift recognition programs.
18. Develop and gain approval for an annual income and expenditure budget for fund development program.
19. Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts and expenditures related to fundraising and the management of the fund development activities.
20. Monitor expenses, analyze budget reports on fund development, and recommend changes as necessary.