The Student Conservation Association (SCA), a national force of youth conservation volunteers, has an exciting opportunity in our Program Department. Americas #1 youth conservation service organization seeks a Historic Preservation Coordinator in Wompatuck State Park, Massachusetts.
Reporting to the Program Director, the Historic Preservation Coordinator will lead a dynamic corps team to complete critical and timely historic preservation and stewardship projects throughout Massachusetts. Project locations include Wompatuck State Park, NPS historic sites in Boston and other historic land marks from the Boston Harbor Islands to the Berkshires. You will guide the corps members to complete critical and timely historic preservation projects that include: window restoration (glass cutting/glazing/muntins), repointing of historic masonry, mothballing historic buildings, demolition and restoring homes and structures!
The Historic Preservation Coordinator (PC) plays a crucial role in the success of the corps program. The Coordinator is primarily responsible for recruitment, selection, training, supervision and support of 12 residential corps members. The entire corps is based out of Wompatuck State Park and commutes by van, car or boat to service locations (Shared housing is available). Additionally, the Coordinator will work closely with the DCR Historic Curatorship Manager to manage the projects safely and efficiently.
SCA MA AmeriCorps, a part of the Student Conservation Association, works in partnership with the MA Department of Conservation and Recreation, National Park Service, and Massachusetts Service Alliance (AmeriCorps) to run the Historic Preservation and Stewardship Corps.
- Manage member recruitment and selection, including application review and interviewing prospective members.
- Plan and schedule trainings
- Provide ongoing logistical, field, program and technical support to SCA Members
- Coordinate completion and submission of all member time logs, reports, and evaluations.
- Facilitate bi-weekly all corps meetings.
- Plan and oversee 1 month member internships with DCR parks.
- Work with partners to ensure permits and materials are ready prior to project start date.
- Schedule members to maximize project efficiency and growth opportunities.
- Ensure compliance with all SCA/DCR/NPS Risk Management policies & procedures.
- Provide field-based supervision and technical and logistical support
- Make sure crew is in compliance with Lead RRP training/implementation
- Planning and overseeing month long internships
- Managing tool Cache, including maintenance and inventory
- Collaborate with DCR Historic Curator Staff, District Manager, and Wompatuck Park Supervisor.
- Coordinate project solicitation and selection with DCR and NPS.
- Ensure successful and timely completion of work projects
- Ensure that program facilities meet all required state codes, safety reviews are regularly conducted and all SCA Field Operating Standards are adhered to.
- Evaluate corps members and service projects by visiting field sites and analyzing Program Partners reports and participant evaluations
- Assist Program Director in 90-day and annual performance evaluations for all corps members
- Provide reports, data and information to the Program Director to assist him/her in compiling SCA Quarterly and Annual Reports and AmeriCorps reports
- Participate in staff development opportunities offered by SCA, as well as additional trainings or projects when available.
- Manage and track specific budget line items relating to the corps program.
- Assist with the overall operational aspects of the SCA Massachusetts AmeriCorps office
- Driving passenger vehicles in a variety of weather conditions and varied terrain for extended periods.
- Serve as Program Responder and/or Duty Officer
- Other duties as assigned or deemed necessary by the Program Director
- Recruitment of qualified candidates to become SCA members for all of the SCA Massachusetts AmeriCorps positions.
- Assure accurate completion of all documentation, reporting, and evaluation in accordance with SCA and AmeriCorps Regulations.
- Implement Risk Management plans and al SCA field Protocols for all SCA-led activities/programs.
- Understand and abide by policies and guidelines in SCAs Field Operations and Staff Handbooks.
- Maintain a professional and courteous relationship with internal and external constituents.
- Understand and model SCAs Operating Values and Leadership Behaviors