The Crew Leader position is a 900 hour AmeriCorps service term commitment that runs from late April to November. Northern Bedrock Crew Leaders supervise and work alongside 5 Crew Members, preserving and repairing historic structures throughout Minnesota. This position involves physically challenging and team-oriented work. Projects may include masonry, plaster, cemetery monument resetting and cleaning, basic carpentry, and historic landscape restoration. Work is performed primarily outdoors in all weather conditions, and all projects involve extended camping near the project site. Crew Leaders lead camping and team-building activities, and are the on-site resource for their crew members and staff during each project.
Crew Leaders earn a bi-weekly living stipend, and can take advantage of student loan forbearance during their service. Upon completion of the service term, AmeriCorps members receive an education award to be used on educational expenses. All Crew Members receive training and credentials in First-Aid/CPR, OSHA, Lead Renovator, and Leave No Trace.
This position is supervised by the Northern Bedrock Historic Preservation Corps (NBHPC) Operations Manager and Field Coordinator.
Service Term and Hitch Schedule
· April 30th November 9th, 2018
· Each Hitch: 8 days, 10 hours per day 8:00 AM 6:30 PM (typical) travel included, 6 days off, with each project requiring camping for 4-8 consecutive days.
Stipend and Ed Award
· Bi-weekly living stipend $947.50
· AmeriCorps Education Award $2,887
Applicants must be flexible to work 8, 10 hour days in a row, and then have 6 days off throughout their service term. Food, campsites and group camping gear are provided while working on projects. The crew is provided a corps vehicle to travel from Duluth to the worksite. All AmeriCorps members are required to take a ˝ hour lunch which does not contribute to service hours.
Responsibilities and Tasks
· Model and ensure safety is a top priority during all service projects
· Follow and model all policies and procedures and assure compliance by crew members
· Assist with project logistics, including communicating with project hosts, coordinating equipment and conducting inventory checks
· Provide leadership, manage crew dynamics and facilitate debriefs
· In conjunction with Staff, provide in-field guidance, training and direction of crew members for all projects
· Maintain accurate crew, project program and safety records
· Complete and submit required reports and other paperwork in a timely manner