JOB OBJECTIVE: Perform complex architectural work and advanced preservation work related to historic county courthouse project review in the Division of Architecture. Work involves performing architectural review work (technical and consultative assistance) for compliance with the Secretary of the Interiors Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties in an office and field setting. This position works with other members of the program team to ensure the administrative requirements of the grant program and applicable state laws are met. Assists in the agencys initiative to promote good stewardship of courthouses through training, consultations and incentives. Works under limited supervision of the Division and Courthouse Program directors with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
1. Review and develop detailed written and verbal comments on historic preservation project planning documents, architectural drawings and technical specifications for compliance with the Secretary of the Interiors Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties.
2. Provide technical assistance on preservation, rehabilitation and restoration of historic properties to county governments, governmental agencies, community organizations and the general public.
3. Perform on-site consultation with the public, architectural consultants, contractors and government officials regarding appropriate preservation techniques.
4. Review grant and non-grant courthouse projects as assigned for compliance with state laws, rules, policies and standards for the Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program, the Antiquities Code of Texas, Recorded Texas Historic Landmarks, and preservation easements.
5. Advise the building owners and architects regarding compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Texas Accessibility Standards in relation to historic buildings.
6. Meet with building owners on-site to assess existing conditions, functional requirements or the quality of work performed.
7. Track grant projects progress and related administrative paperwork as assigned from application through completion to ensure procedures are followed.
8. Evaluate grant applications on the basis of program scoring criteria and provide recommendations to team.
9. Review, provide comments and secure approvals for grant project budgets, expenses, change orders, and reimbursement requests.
10. Review, provide comments and approve grant project submittals, meeting minutes, and completion reports.
11. Review, provide comments and secure approvals for agreement documents, permit applications, preservation easements and contracts.
12. Regularly meet on-site with project team during construction activities to ensure that approved work is consistent with the grant proposal and quality standards for historic preservation projects.
Training and Education