Reports to: Deputy Director for Collections and Curatorial Affairs
Date: Job description updated September 13, 2018
The Vizcaya Conservator is the primary person responsible for the care, preservation, and conservation of the sites collections which include furnishings, decorative arts, textiles, paintings, outdoor sculpture, and architectural features and historic finishes both interior and exterior.
The Conservator supervises a team of collections care specialists and technicians, interns, and volunteers.
Conservator directly supervises Collections Care Specialist (currently one FT employee), Collections Care Technician (currently one FT employee), and interns (two FT for 8 weeks/year anticipated and/or one FT or PT for up to a year).
Considering the unique needs and challenges of Vizcaya, whose collections are housed in historic buildings with features and finishes that are part of the historic fabric of the estate, the conservator will be involved in the conservation of the collection as well as historic preservation of the estate.
Duties will primarily focus on the following:
1) As member of the Collections and Curatorial Division, provide support to the Capital Projects team in the planning and execution of all phases of capital projects (most immediately including Main House roof replacement, Main House window and door restoration, HVAC and MEP upgrades in Main House, post-hurricane damage to waterfront features)
2) Advance the conservation of the Robert Winthrop Chanler ceiling mural in the Swimming Pool Grotto
3) Advance the conservation of other objects and finishes within the Grotto
4) Advance maintenance and conservation of various stone objects (sculpture and statuary) and masonry surfaces throughout the property
Additional duties include but are not limited to:
1) Manage all aspects of Vizcayas preventive conservation program including implementing cyclic maintenance program for collections, monitoring environmental conditions, overseeing the Integrated Preventive Pest Management program
2) Solicit proposals for conservation treatment by contractors
3) Coordinate and supervise conservation projects by outside contractors
4) Participate in disaster preparedness and recovery efforts; participate in the Alliance for Response Miami
5) Examine and treat objects and finishes
6) Maintain all conservation and maintenance related documentation
7) Review and manage the long-range conservation plan
8) Coordinate and oversee the conservation internship program