2019 DCR/NPS HISTORIC PRESERVATION AND STEWARDSHIP CORPS
The SCA, MA Department of Conservation and Recreation, and the National Park Service have partnered together to offer a unique opportunity for young adults looking to gain Historic Preservation experience while living in community. This position requires that you become enrolled in AmeriCorps. If you are selected for this program please be sure to accept AmeriCorps during the SCA offer process.
Join the SCA MA Forests and Parks AmeriCorps Preservation and Stewardship Corps and serve alongside other Corps members to complete projects at the Boston Harbor Islands National and State Park, Wompatuck State Park, and other DCR and NPS historic sites around Massachusetts. Learn or hone your preservation skills while completing various apprentice level carpentry projects, window restoration, historic masonry repair, historic building stabilization, and various types of data collection and field work! Additionally, each corps member will complete a month long Independent Project following their interests in Park Interpretation, Park Operations and Maintenance, or Visitor Services.
After 8 weeks of training, SCA Preservation and Stewardship Corps members will complete projects in teams of 2-5 members focusing on Historic Preservation with additional service projects including park operations, landscaping, trail maintenance, and more. The daily commute will be by program vehicle, public transit, or DCR boats. Front country camping for 5 days at a time may be required for some project sites.
Wilderness First Aid certification, CPR Certification, Principles of Historic Preservation, Basic Masonry Techniques, Carpentry Tool Use & Safety, OSHA 10, Lead Paint Renovator, Leave No Trace Outdoor Ethics, National Interpretive Association CIG Certification, Conservation Work Skills, Chainsaw use and safety, and GIS/GPS as it relates to resource inventory.
· Be an active and participatory corps member attend all training and service days
· Take on role of Crew Leader for at least one Crew Rotation, serving as a professional liaison with park managers, handling the logistics of a project, delegating responsibilities, developing emergency response plans, and completing all necessary paperwork
· Be an active and participatory member of the SCA Preservation and Stewardship Corps Community
· Comply with all SCA, DCR, NPS, and AmeriCorps policies and refrain from any prohibited activities
· Members will receive a weekly stipend of $200.00
· Upon completion of service, members will receive an education award of up to $5,815
· Housing will be provided (Shared living at Wompatuck State Park - Hingham, MA)
· Transportation to and from service activities will be provided