ARG seeks an Architectural Historian / Preservation Planner with a strong background in the fields of Architectural History and Historic Preservation Planning to join their Los Angeles office. This position requires an individual with a Masters Degree in Historic Preservation or closely related field from an accredited institution. Ideally, the candidate should have one-to-two years of post-graduate school work experience in a similar position(s). The candidate should meet the Secretary of the Interiors Professional Qualifications Standards in Architectural History.
Applicants should possess the following skills, interests or experience:
· good communication skills and ability to work both independently and collaboratively;
· the ability and desire to take on a wide variety of tasks, large and small;
· outstanding research, writing, proofreading and editing skills;
· experience with historic resource survey projects;
· experience evaluating and documenting the significance of historic resources for potential local, state, and national eligibility;
· background in American History, specifically California and the West, as well as familiarity with architectural styles prevalent in California; and
· literacy in computer programs of the basic MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
The following skills are desired but not essential:
· proficiency with GIS;
· proficiency with the Adobe creative suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator;
· recent experience with Federal Tax Credit Certification projects;
· experience with environmental review under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA); and
· experience with or willingness to learn Access database development and/or experience with cultural resource documentation databases such as RuskinArc, Arches, and others.
ARGs Los Angeles office of 15 architects, planners/historians, and conservators offers a dynamic, energetic, collegial, and collaborative work environment. We are located in the vibrant Little Tokyo neighborhood of Downtown Los Angeles, near multiple modes of public transportation. This is a full-time position, eligible for ARGs competitive benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with experience.